The city of Gyula bears the name of the nobleman who founded its monastery in the Árpád Era (between the 11th and 13th centuries). In the 13th century, it was only a small pilgrimage site. By the 1400s, it had acquired city status with the right to host markets. However, that is not what made Gyula well-known. After a noble family named Losonczy died out, the ownership of the demesne /-mei:n/ went to János Maróthy, who found a suitable place to build a castle in one of the curves of the Körös River. The construction started in the early 15th century. As a result, Gyula soon became an important center for the surrounding regions. The castle’s first authentic ground plan is from 1562, which was probably part of the schematic on which the fortification of the castle was based. The plan shows the medieval core structure that still stands today.
Based on local oral tradition, the castle is Central Eastern Europe’s only intact lowland brick castle built in the Gothic style. Certainly no other similar stronghold in the lowland regions in the Kingdom of Hungary survived which displays so many 15th-century architectural elements. The castle owes no small part of its present day condition to the Almássy family, who regarded it as a centerpiece of their family estate, greatly contributing to its preservation.
The original castle was larger than it is today. The outer defensive line with its pentagonal bastions was destroyed. Only the core structure, its surrounding inner brick wall and gate tower have survived.
Jacob Larsson Womens Jersey